Interview with Congruity CEO Justin Davis

Philly Food Fun

http://bit.ly/2PtCM6S

I spent the past few days in Philadelphia for FNCE, the massive annual conference for Registered Dietitians. I need to take some time to digest everything before sharing my thoughts on some of the educational sessions I attended, so for now I wanted to just pop in and share some photos of the food I had while in the city!

FNCE philadelphia 2019

I arrived at FNCE late (most people arrive on Saturday) this year since I was running the Marine Corps 10k on Sunday morning with Matt, but luckily Philly is an easy train ride so I was able to head up there Sunday afternoon following the race.

I didn’t have any events to attend on Sunday evening, so I was pumped to be able to get dinner with my college friend Turner who lives in the city!

We started with happy hour – cider for me, a cocktail for her – and a cheese board at a cool French place called Good King Tavern.

They had a nice outdoor area which was perfect because it was gorgeous outside (where was this weather on Sunday morning during the race, right?)!

good king tavern

For dinner, Turner made us reservations at a cool Thai place called Kalaya – it has gotten a lot of buzz lately as one of the best restaurants in the city, AND Turner’s friend is the chef, so I was pumped to try it! 

We started with the sakoo sai moo, which was tapioca dumplings with pork & peanut filling, red chili & cilantro. Loved the creative presentation with the cucumbers!

kalaya philadelphia

Next we shared the khao yum kamin – a southern Thai rice salad with toasted coconut, dried shrimp, chili flakes, seasonal vegetables, and fermented fish topped with a caramelized palm sugar dressing.

I loved how crunchy this salad was – they mixed it for us at the table but I had to take a picture before because it was so beautiful!

kalaya philadelphia

For our entree we shared the goong aob woon sen – baked shrimp with glass noodles, Chinese celery, garlic, ginger, cilantro, long hots, oyster sauce and soy sauce. This was really flavorful – yum.

My favorite dish of the night, though, was actually the wok-fried cabbage (kalum tod nam pla) that came recommended by our server – the sauce was just garlic and fish sauce but man it was delicious… incredibly flavorful. 

kalaya philadelphia

Such a fun night and great to see my friend! 

Other food highlights from the weekend included the toast at a cafe called K’far – I shared the smoked trout and beet toasts with my friend Alexis and both were awesome. The trout one had a little egg in a hole baked into the toast below – so creative!

k'far philadelphia toast

This breakfast was especially fun because of the company – loved catching up with fellow dietitians Lisa, Alex, Alexis, and Heather!

intuitive eating registered dietitians

I also had a delicious lunch at Nom Wah, a dim sum restaurant near the convention center, with my friend Sara who works for Cabot – great to catch up with her and this meal was amazing, too. 

nom wah philadelphia

Another great meal was a breakfast event at Urban Farmer. Their shaved ham egg benedict with homemade toast was delicious, and the space was really pretty, too.

urban farmer breakfast

One more Philly rec: check out Love City Brewing! Fun atmosphere and great beer – my friends at Egg Nutrition Center hosted a happy hour there that I attended with my buddy Rachael and their blood orange sour beer that was on tap was awesome.

Here we are hamming (er, egging?) it up at the photo booth. :)

And now, it’s time to try to get some more work done before Riese wakes up from her nap!

Have a fun and spooky Halloween tomorrow, and I’ll see you guys back here on Friday with either my FNCE educational session highlights recap if I can get it done in time… or if not, some eats/exercise from the week. :) 




from Verdure http://bit.ly/2BYkR06

Comments